The definitive guide to Nikon's top prosumer camera has been updated.
Current version: 3.03 (includes D300 and D300s)
Want to update your 1st or 2nd Edition? Click HERE.
<--CD plus portable reference -->
Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D300 and D300s helps you understand and master the use of the Nikon D300 or D300s digital
With over 1000 pages of detailed, complete, and useful information, you'll find all your questions about the camera and how to use it answered. Unlike previous Complete Guides, this time you get more than a single PDF file. You get three primary works:
- The Complete Guide to the Nikon D300 3rd Edition: this 762 page eBook (PDF file) contains everything you'd want to know about the D300 and D300s and how to use them, and has been updated to reflect the latest firmware and accessories. You'll find deep explanations with more examples and suggestions than in previous and other guides, all in the no-nonsense and understandable writing style for which Thom Hogan has become famous. No matter how well you think you know the D300 or D300s, you'll find things in this work that you didn't know about the camera (example: did you know that Picture Controls don't fully respect Shooting Banks?). That's why it's called a "complete guide."
- Introduction to Nikon Software 2nd Edition: another 145 pages of useful information in eBook form (PDF file), this time about the software (both supplied and optional) that Nikon produces for its DSLR cameras. This work includes sections on the current versions of Nikon Transfer, Nikon ViewNX, Nikon Camera Control Pro, and Nikon Capture NX2. There's enough here to get you started using Nikon's software, and probably a few things the experts amongst you didn't know, as well. Third-party software as well as workflow is briefly covered in this first edition (Thom expects to expand this in future editions now that the work is separate from the Complete Guides).
- The Nikon D300 and D300s To Go 3rd Edition: this 128-page printed (yes, printed) portable guide is excerpted from the Complete Guide text and contains only those things you need to know when out shooting. Basically, the reference information and step-by-step instructions that are in the Complete Guide have been all put into a portable reference you can carry with you. Now includes Table of Contents and Index. You asked for it; you got it!
CLICK HERE TO BEGIN ORDERING (updates see top of page)
(ordering starts here whether via the Web or Mail Order)
But wait, there's more. Thom has revisited the support files he provides with his Complete Guides, so now you also get:
- A second heaping helping of Photoshop Actions. Besides all the Photoshop Actions that were supplied with previous Complete Guides, now there's another whole file full of interesting and useful actions.
- Settings, settings, settings. The settings Thom uses on his D300 and D300s are included on the disc, along with a worksheet that matches these settings. You also get UniWB files for both cameras.
- Focus adjustment chart. If you want to use the AF Fine Tune feature, you need something reliable to use to check your work. Now you have it.
- The Complete Guide Worksheets. Accurate and complete Depth of Field, Flash, Macro, and Storage worksheets to calculate your own values for many useful functions.
- Workflow Videos. Three short, to-the-point videos that step you through the same basic workflow for Nikon DSLR images, but with three different sets of software (Nikon's own, a mix-and-match combination, and the all-Adobe version).
- Intro to DSLRs: a short and to the point ePamphlet that separates out the introductory information for those new to DSLR cameras.
The Complete Guide to the Nikon D300 and D300s is a must-own for any D300 or D300s user. There simply isn't any other work out there that comes close to touching the detail, usefulness, or completeness of this work. The work is supplied on CD-ROM for all the electronic files plus a printed Nikon D300 and D300s to Go guide for $39.95
plus shipping and handling, and can only be purchased
from this site. A convenient printed version is also available to those ordering the CD and ToGo set.
CLICK HERE TO BEGIN ORDERING
- Organized to help you learn. Completely reorganized and fine tuned, with distinct sections for what you need to know before using the camera (background and setup), while using the camera (shooting features), and after using the camera (what to do with your images). Software questions? That's in the separate Introduction to Nikon Software eBook so it doesn't clutter up the camera info. Want a more concise carry-it-with-you guide? You got it in the D300 and D300s to Go you get with your order.
complete instruction manual and an introduction to relevant
digital issues in one book. Thom Hogan's Complete Guide
to the Nikon D300 and D300s manages to not only fully describe every
feature of the D300 and D300s in clear, easy-to-understand language, but
gives you rich, technical background for many of the critical
issues that confront digital camera users. First time DSLR users will get information about how DSLRs work. DSLR veterans will get insights into how to set their D300 or D300s for the best results. Shooting video with the D300s is also covered.
- Nikon flash and autofocus modes explained in plain English! Wonder how the new I-TTL flash works? Can't figure out Dynamic autofocus, Release Priority, Focus Priority, Closest Focus Priority, the new AF-A autofocus mode, and a host of other terms used to describe features of the focusing system? Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D300 and D300s explains these terms and accompanying techniques in the same simple, no-nonsense language that made his Nikon Field Guide a best seller. Includes information on how to use the Commander mode wireless flash option.
- Note: The eBook covers the MB-D10 and most other currently available D300 and D300s options and accessories, but it does not cover the WT-4 wireless transceiver.
had to say about the previous editions of the The Complete Guide to the Nikon D300:
"As usual you have created an impressive volume, with far more information on this camera's function than any other reference." -N. Lippman
"I keep running across things that make me say 'I didn't know that.' I also ran across some fantastic tips and little kernels that make me say, 'wow!'" -L. Wiley
"It's already answered a lot of questions for me. I've already dropped a few options from my regular shooting and I'm making smarter choices about others." -J.O. Holmes
"Nikon should do everyone a favor and just get you to write their manuals." -B. Ackerman
"A work of art...I have learned so much" -S. Burg
"I'm overwhelmed at the amount of good info and how well it's laid out." -C. Bush
"I really appreciate the To Go booklet, as well as the software guide and introductory workflow videos" -M. Rupert
"The best money I've spent in the photographic arena in recent history." -R. Johnson
"Your guide is really helping me dig into the D300's features, especially in areas that the Nikon manual doesn't even cover." -M. Pietra
"If you really want to know this camera, Thom Hogan's Complete Guide to the Nikon D300 is the only guide to purchase." -B. Bartek
"I can't believe how much information you've managed to gather and decipher on the D300. And, better still, you've managed to get everything written in a way that even I can understand."
pages, eBook (Macintosh and Windows CD-ROM supplied; uses Acrobat
Reader) + 128-page portable printed guide. North American orders: $39.95 plus $6.95 shipping and handling. International orders: $39.95 plus $9.95 shipping and handling. Please note that books returned for any reason will be charged a US$5 processing fee plus any shipping costs incurred. Unfortunately I've had to institute this charge due to repeated abuse of my previously liberal polices. Make sure that the address you provide is the correct one for mail deliveries!
Published by byThom Press.
PLEASE ALLOW FOUR TO SIX WEEKS FOR DELIVERY
Frequently Asked Questions about the eBook:
Can I get the files emailed to me?
No. byThom does not electronically deliver files. To do so requires license agreements, and that means that you're really renting the work, not purchasing it. Physical works retain value, rented works don't.
Can I order the printed version without the CD?
No. The printed option is available as a convenience for those who wish to have a physical copy of their purchase. Without the CD, you wouldn't get the support files, videos, worksheets, UniWB files, and the Introduction to Nikon Software eBook.
Can the eBook be used on a Kindle (or other eBook reader)?
Kindle 2 and Kindle DX users can transfer the eBook to their reader via USB connection, and it will work just like any other PDF file on the Kindle. Current Sony eBook readers also support PDF. At present, these are the only readers I test files on. Note that the files are very large, contain color, and have complex layouts. Thus, some readers may not provide the full experience you'd get on your computer with Acrobat Reader.
Does it really take four to six weeks for delivery?
In some parts of the world, yes. But those words are on the Web site due to FTC regulations. Because delivery may take that long in even one instance, to be legal this site must disclose that. US deliveries ship on Wednesdays by Priority Mail, which means that they usually arrive in two to three business days after that. Thus, the worst case in the US is usually seven to eight business days. But to be legal, that's not a promise, just an example of what should happen.
product is mailed to you on a CD-ROM and 128-page portable reference (shipped Priority Mail in the
First Class Mail outside the US). The PDF files are in Adobe Acrobat format and require the
free Acrobat Reader 6.x or later. Downloadable versions are not available. The
eBook is cross referenced with bookmarks for the complete
Table of Contents. You may print a copy of the PDF files you get for your
own personal use.
product is only available from this Web site.
Please don't support or encourage piracy and illegal copying.